Friday, January 1, 2016

It's Not Love Any Other Way

January 1st 2016.

Well, it's official! Happy New Year! Hopefully by now the leftovers have been eaten, the twisty ties from the barbie packages are all finally trashed, the foot injuries from stepping on legos have begun to heal, and 104.5 has started to play something other than the same 14 songs again and again. ;)

This morning I read a devotional from Jesus Calling that I thought was really awesome, and I wanted to share some thoughts about it.
"Come to Me with a teachable spirit, eager to be changed. A close walk with Me is a life of continual newness. Do not cling to old ways as you step into a new year. Instead, seek my face with an open mind, knowing that your journey with me involves being transformed by the renewing of your mind. As you focus your thoughts on Me, be aware that I am fully attentive to you. I see you with steady eye, because my attention span is infinite. I know and understand you completely; my thoughts embrace you in everlasting love. I also know the plans I have for you; plans to prosper you and give you hope and a future. Give yours;f fully to this adventure of increasing attentiveness to My Presence."
"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2 
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
"Come to me...eager to be changed." Eager to be changed. Eager? For Change? HA! If there's one thing anybody knows about me is that I can't stand change. I have routines. I have procedures. Things are done a certain way, or they aren't done at all. If and when things do change, I better have a very large heads up. Unless it's in the form of some quarters so I can get a diet coke from a vending machine: Change and I are not friends.

Yet, here's this devotional and the first thing I read for the new year is telling me to be eager for change. And the second sentence is telling me that being a christian means experiencing continual newness. Continual. Repeated. Changes. For me, change can be terrifying. Change means that I may not be in control. Change means that I may have to undergo pain to yield a specified result. Change means that I may be uncomfortable. Change means that I may not have a clue what's going on. Change can be hard, and I can list a dozen other reasons why it scares me so much, but it can also be beautiful. I once was not a believer in Christ. God came in, changed my heart, and brought me from death to life. In my life, that's the most beautiful change that has ever been. For a long time, I harbored a very bitter grudge against someone who really hurt me. Over a period of time, my attitude changed and I began to forgive that person. At one point in my life I would panic and make myself sick over presenting projects to my second or third grade class. Now I sing solos on stage at church. 

The second part of this devotional talks about how focusing our thoughts on God should encourage us because we should remember how attentive He is to our needs. His love is everlasting, His understanding is infinite. He knew us before we were born, and He knows each of us in the most loving and intimate ways. Thus, He knows how we're going to turn out. He knows what's going to happen to us next Tuesday, next year, on our 79th birthday. He's already planned it, and He already knows. He wants to change our hearts so that we can continue to grow and understand how vast His love for His children really is. No, it isn't always easy. Being hurt by someone in my life wasn't easy, but the lesson God gave me in humility and forgiveness is one that I will never forget. Dealing with anxiety for a greater portion of my life has not been easy, but the patience and peace God has graciously given to me time and time again have made me a stronger person. 

There's a video I'm suddenly remembering that one of the members of my favorite christian bands released several years ago. He talks about how in the series of the Chronicles of Narnia a little boy was turned into a dragon, and he went up to Aslan the Lion and told him he didn't want to be a dragon anymore. Aslan told him that in order to become a little boy again he would have to rip off the scales and dragon skin with his paws. As Aslan was scraping off all of the skin the boy was screaming out in pain. It hurt. But the pain is what changed the boy into who he ultimately wanted to be. 

So, maybe I do actually want to be eager for change. I'm eager to see what God will accomplish through me this year. I'm eager to see how I can better become of woman of God. I'm eager to see how old friendships will change and how new ones will develop. I'm eager to see a change in my heart that draws me even closer to my Creator. 

Here's to 2016. May it be full of changes in my heart, and may I end the year a kinder and more positive person because of the changes that were made. May I make the necessary changes in my life to provide for more opportunities to be bold and share the love of Christ with those around me, and may I continuously change my perspective to appreciate the trials and tribulations that I will undoubtedly go through. 


No comments:

Post a Comment