Monday, October 5, 2015

We All Struggle

So today I came across a story someone on Facebook shared. Truth be told, I ignore shared stories most of the time but this time I stopped to read it. I had to stop once or twice because it honestly sounds like something I would write myself, and it surprised me. If you have time, give it a read. It's a little long, but it's really good I promise.

The story of Genevieve Georget 

OH how I can relate to this story!!!! The 'gold star' references. The things she struggles with. The coffee addictions. When I finished reading it I threw my fist in the air and said YES!! I get you!!!

Here's an example in my own life:

There's a woman at my church that I talk to on Sunday mornings. I really enjoy talking to her, she's a very sweet godly woman. And I sincerely love this woman, but she tells me often that I am her role model. Me. A 20 year old college student who is so far from having her life together that it's not even funny. Me. A young adult who spends more time on figuring out what to wear every morning than I do studying for a big sociology quiz. Me??? As sweet as it is for her to say such a thing, it makes me feel so unbelievably uncomfortable that I don't know what to do. The only thing this woman sees is a 20 year old involved in a church who dresses modestly and doesn't have any tattoos. (yet. If she knew I've ever thought seriously about getting one...lol ) It's super easy to look at me and assume that my life is great and easy and far from being the total wreck that it feels like it is sometimes. If 'gold stars' were passed out on looks alone, I would probably have scrapbooks full of the little jokers. But here's how it really is:

I peel the skin off of my grapes before I eat them.
I care a lot about what people think of me.
I skip classes sometimes.
I don't make straight A's. (Probably because I skip classes sometimes, but that's besides the point)
I feel like a horrible friend and a horrible daughter most of the time.
I have extremely high expectations for myself.
I flip out when I don't meet those expectations.
I unfollow people on Facebook if they get on my nerves.
I really don't have any political opinions at all. Sometimes I try to, but I really just don't care
I can relate to over 90% of the things the lady from the story typed about herself.
I'm afraid of letting others down.
I'm afraid that God will get tired of me making the same mistakes over and over and that he'll get tired of forgiving me. (Even if I know that this isn't true. It's an irrational concern.)
Nothing frustrates me more than not being able to find matching socks, so I usually wear two completely different ones on purpose. (Currently I have a cheetah print one and a hot pink striped one on)
I think that if anyone finds out about the quirky traits, or the scary things from my past, or the things that make me seem 'dark and twisty' that they just straight up will not want anything to do with me. I'll be considered crazy and unlovable.
And there are probably ten thousand more things that I can't even think of.

Here's the truth:
I'm not a good girl who has her life together. And the more I read stories like this, the more I realize that I don't think anybody else is either.

The man with the 9-5 job, a beautiful wife, 3 kids, and a house in the suburbs has struggles.

The woman in the grocery store that you're secretly mad at because she's buying organic fruit snacks that cost $6.85 a box and you're buying the shark gummies that are one sale; she has struggles too.

The student in your biology class who's making As on all the assignments and comes to class dressed to impress every. single. time. has struggles.

The group of ladies in the running club in your town that wake up at the crack of dawn every morning to run 6 miles have struggles.

The men and women in your congregation have struggles.

The pope has struggles.

Your mom has struggles.

Everyone has something that strikes a chord.

I feel like I write things like this all the time, but I just can't help it. I forget all the time. With social media, we can filter what everyone sees. We can even add filters to our pictures to make us look more tan or attractive- distorting reality further. I sincerely forget that the people who take pictures of their salads, vegetables, and paleo-inspired dishes probably don't eat like that all of the time. I forget that the pictures of the sorority sisters who always post selfies with their friends every weekend, still might be lonely sometimes. I forget that the guy who posted he just made an A on an English paper might be struggling in another class. I could go on and on.

Reading stories like this humble me and challenge me to be more authentic. I am encouraged when I read things like this because it reminds me of the frailty and transparency that the human race is capable of showing. If we were all just a little more "real" I wonder how many more people we could encourage every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment